Skip to main content

Full text of "Byzantine Churches In Constantinople"

See other formats


xvn                  THE MONASTERY OF MANUEL                   257
The building which Manuel bequeathed was reconstructed almost from the foundations^ a large and beautiful edifice^ by the celebrated Patriarch Photius.1 It underwent extensive restoration again at the command of the Emperor Romanus Lecapenus (919-945)^ in token of his friendship for Sergius3 the abbot of the monastery, a nephew of Photius, and eventually an occupant of the patriarchal throne for twenty years (999-1019). In it the Emperor Romanus Argyrus (1028-1034) confined Prussianus, a relative of the Bulgarian royal family^ on a charge of treason ;3 and there Michael VIL, nicknamed Parapinakes (the peck-filcher), because he sold wheat at one-fourth of its proper weights and then at an exorbitant prices ultimately retired after his deposition.4 The connection of so many prominent persons with the monastery implies the importance of the House.
Architectural Features
Kefel6 Mesjedi is a large oblong hall, m. 22.6 long by m. 7.22 wide, with walls constructed in alternate courses of four bricks and four stones, and covered with a lofty timber roof. It terminates to the north in an arch and a semicircular apse in brick. Two niches, with a window between them, indent the walls of the apse, and there is a niche in each pier of the arch. The building is entered by a door situated in the middle of the western wall. Originally the eastern and western walls, which form the long sides of the building, were lighted by two ranges of round-headed windows, somewhat irregularly spaced* The upper range is situated a little below the ceiling, and forms a sort of clearstory of ten lights ; the lower range has five windows, except in the western wall, where the place of
the reign of Theophilus (see Leo Gramm. p. 222). But it would be strange for different Manuals to reside near the cistern of Aspar, and to convert their residences into the monastery of Manuel in that vicinity. For other reasons for the identification see Bury, Eastern Rom$n Empire, Appendix viii. p. 476.
1  Theodore Balsamon, vol. i. p. 1041 5 Canon VIL of the Synod of Constantinople held under Photius.
2  Theoph. Cont. p. 433, ^ov^ rw "M.avovfj\ov.
8 Cedrenus, iL-p. 487.                          4 Scylitzes, in Cedrenus, ii. p. 738.
S